Pakistan visit inspired Mira Nair to make `The Reluctant...`
New Delhi: US-based Indian filmmaker Mira Nair says she decided to make ‘The Reluctant Fundamentalist’ after her Pakistan visit.
Set around the post-9/11 period, the contemporary film about Pakistan is centred on a young Pakistani guy chasing corporate success on the Wall Street and struggling between his American dream, a hostage crisis and the enduring call of his family`s homeland.
"It was seven years ago when I was invited to show my films in Pakistan...To discover the country, the culture, the people - it all seemed terribly familiar."
"I was immediately inspired to make a contemporary film about Pakistan, especially in this day and age when the perceived schism between Islamists and the Western World becomes more pronounced each day," Nair said in a statement.
Based on Pakistani author Mohsin Hamid`s novel of the same name, the film, releasing in India May 3, has an international cast - British-Pakistani actor Riz Ahmed in the title role along with Hollywood stars Kate Hudson, Liev Schrieber and Kiefer Sutherland. Indian actors Shabana Azmi and Om Puri too feature in it.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bigg Boss, Day 47: Survival fight continues, inmates stumped by surprise exit!
- Tough times in India: Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra on intolerance row
- Response to 'Wazir' trailer makes Bejoy Nambiar 'ecstatic'
- Salman's 'Prem Ratan Dhan Payo' outraces lifetime earnings of '3 Idiots'
- Bigg Boss: Priya Malik to throw 'pee' on Kishwer in upcoming episode!
- We're going back to dark ages: Emraan Hashmi on film censorship
- Pooja Joshi of 'Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai' gets hitched to beau!
- Aamir Khan has every right to be worried, says Aparna Sen
- Everyone has right to an opinion, except a celebrity: Sonu Nigam
- Amitabh Bachchan reaches 18 mn followers on Twitter