Risks have paid off, says Emraan Hashmi
Kolkata: Actor Emraan Hashmi who drew plaudits for his role in ‘Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai’, says that the risks he took in his career have paid off.
"I always wanted to play versatile characters, it`s just that I got slotted. I was only taking up films that were offered to me," Emraan said on the sidelines of a promotional event for the forthcoming film ‘Ghanchakkar’ at the Park Hotel here Thursday.
"But when filmmakers start taking risks seeing the versatility... after seeing the turning point... the turning point in my career being `Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai`, people started thinking beyond the image... that I can do other films beyond the typical noir cinema of 2009... things really changed," said Emraan.
After a spate of films like ‘Murder’ and ‘Gangster’ that earned him the title of Bollywood`s `serial kisser`, Hashmi received critical acclaim for portraying a variety of characters in movies like ‘Awarapan’ (2007), ‘Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai’ (2010), ‘The Dirty Picture’ (2011) and ‘Shanghai’ (2012).
Foraying into comedy with the forthcoming movie ‘Ghanchakkar’, which releases June 28, Emraan was last seen in the unconventional flick "Ek Thi Daayan".
Calling it a "rebirth" in his career post-2009, the actor admitted that breaking through stereotypes in films like ‘The Dirty Picture’ and ‘Ek Thi Daayan’ have brought him success.
"There was almost a rebirth of kind in my career after 2009 and I got to do the work I really wanted to do. In any decision, you have to be slightly cautious but you have to take risks. Because in my career, risks have already paid off," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'The Spectacular Jihad...' inspired by 9/11 attacks
- Jackie Chan opens acting school in China
- I’ve fallen in love with acting, says Lauren Gottlieb
- Pulkit Samrat 'can't wait' to watch 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- History lessons for 'Gour Hari Dastaan' cast
- Shakti Kapoor to play crazy professor in upcoming film
- Playing Kashibai emotionally draining for Priyanka Chopra
- Shraddha Kapoor visits 'Baaghi' set ahead of shoot
- Expert detoxification guide for brides-to-be
- Salman Khan thanks Aamir, Shah Rukh for 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' poster release
- 'Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya blaze'
- Jordin Sparks laughs off breast implant rumour
- Vanessa Hudgens suffering from tendinitis
- Shah Rukh Khan undergoes knee surgery, advised rest
- Gul Panag launches fitness app in Mumbai
- Michelle Obama packs a punch, accepts workout challenge
- Want to lose weight? Eat little, but often
- Tom Hardy reveals painful drug-addled past
- Portia De Rossi opens up about early struggle with bulimia, anorexia
- Tanuja, daughters create breast cancer awareness
- Meditation should be part of school curriculum: Shoojit Sircar
- Zoe Saldana has banished 'diet'
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow