Washington: Whitney Houston’s death has shocked her family and fans, but there are some who say that given her history of addiction “it’s not a great surprise”.
Houston herself had admitted to in the past that her drugs of choice were cocaine and marijuana. Latest reports also suggest that there were prescription pills found in the hotel room where she died.
“As sad as this sounds, it’s not a great surprise and yet, it’s unbelievable,” People magazine quoted a source as saying.
“There are demons she fought privately and publicly for many years.
“While doing [the upcoming feature film] ‘Sparkle’ she was seemingly in a good place but the demons run deep. Very deep,” the source said.
Houston’s enablers are said to have added more danger to her demons.
“She’s been on a downward spiral for a long time and when you have those people around you that enable the behaviour ... she couldn’t shake those demons,” the source added.
The singer’s cause of death has been deemed inconclusive by the LA coroner. Her body was found in the bathtub of her Beverly Hilton hotel room on Saturday just hours before she was set to attend Clive Davis’s pre-Grammy bash.