Indian TV industry doesn`t believe in realistic looks: designer Nidhi Yasha
Mumbai: One would think the heavy make-up laden look has been replaced by more muted looks in the Indian TV industry, but designer Nishi Yasha, who has been behind the costmes for shows like `Shobha Somnath Ki` and `Kuch Toh Log Kahenge`, says the industry is still far from backing realistic looks.
"We believe in gloss. The approach is very unrealistic here. We always look for beauty and perfect outfits, which is something I don`t agree with and wish to change it as well," Yasha, who has also worked on `Anhoniyon Ka Andhera` and `Devon Ke Dev Mahadev`, told IANS.
The designer believes in extensive research for the shows that she takes up. For a mythological show, she says has even gone to to the extent of reading historical texts to get the right look.
"For mythology, you have to stick to the scriptures. There is a lot of temple art there. I have studied the Vedas and Puranas and come up with the look many times. For those shows, there is no other reference and the entire look is only described in text," she said.
Yasha has also worked for movies and designed costumes for films like `Dangerous Ishhq`, `1920: The Evil Returns`, `Zila Ghaziabad` and `Maximum`. She feels films give her more freedom as a designer.
"TV is tougher as you need to align your costumes with the thoughts of the broadcaster. You often cannot be very true to your research in case the broadcaster doesn`t agree with you. In films, you get much more freedom. You need to give one look test and you are free to design for the entire span of the movie," she said.
Right now, Yasha is excited that she is designing costumes for three upcoming shows.
"There are three flagship shows in the pipeline as of now. One is for Zee, the second one is for Star Plus and the third one is for Life OK. All three shows are going to be in the fantasy and mythological genre," she said.
She will be designing for some more films too in 2013.
"There are a few films lined up for next year as well, and if all goes well, I might even get to design for an international project," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Himesh Reshammiya, Iulia Vantur join forces for 'Every Night And Day' from 'Aap Se Mausiiquii'
- Karan Johar opens up about his love life!
- Sonam Kapoor looks ravishing in Shantanu & Nikhil design!
- Non-bailable warrant against 'Bigg Boss 10' contestant Om Swami cancelled!
- Birthday special: Seven times Jimmy Shergill’s on-screen characters defined life!
- Kumkum Bhagya - Episode 726: Pragya slams evil trio Alia, Tanu & Nikhil
- Neither Hrithik nor Salman! Anushka to team up with Katrina Kaif on 'Koffee with Karan'
- 'Bigg Boss' season 10: Manu Punjabi exits Salman Khan's show?
- Kumkum Bhagya - Episode 725: Sarla reveals the truth behind Pragya's fake pregnancy
- Shahid Kapoor and Mira Rajput's 'Koffee date' with Karan'!