Original `Star Trek` series was almost cancelled, documentary reveals
London: Original `Star Trek` series` pilot episode bombed with the test audience and was on the verge of getting scrapped, a new documentary has revealed.
The Channel 5 documentary shows that the NBC decided that the pilot was "too cerebral," and almost pulled the plug on the first series.
Neither series creator Gene Roddenberry nor Herb Solow wanted to give up on their idea and eventually pestered NBC into agreeing to an almost unheard of second pilot, the Daily Express reported.
But there was a problem, during a meeting with the cast, the wife of the lead actor Jeffrey Hunter came in and loftily announced that Hunter is a movie star and will no longer do television.
Hunter`s desertion prompted a crisis and NBC admitted that it didn`t like the rest of the cast and scrapped everyone except Leonard Nimoy, who played the role of Mr Spock.
Captain Pike was renamed Captain James T Kirk and William Shatner (then a smallscreen star) was brought in to portray him in the series.
This time, the pilot went down well and the first ` Star Trek` series was given the go ahead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What makes an online dater successful!
- 'Kaabil' an opportunity to establish myself commercially: Yami Gautam
- Ayushmann Khurrana rocks Seattle with his moonwalk, singing! Watch video
- Twinkle Khanna slams Naseeruddin Shah online! - Know why
- 'Jethalal' promotes Varun Dhawan starrer 'Dishoom' by flaunting his unique swag! Watch video
- Nora Fatehi not happy with Salman Yusuf Khan's entry in 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 9'?
- TV hottie Nia Sharma lets her hair down in Dubai – See pics
- ‘Angel’ Taher Shah upset with Varun Dhawan, denies right to use song?
- Know what Kapil Sharma’s team did the moment ‘bua’ Upasana Singh quit ‘Comedy Nights Live’
- Neha Marda’s latest romantic Instagram lomotif post will give you relationship goals