Looking at bright side of life key to longevity
London: The secret to living longer may simply lie in maintaining a positive outlook, boosting feelings of optimism and life satisfaction, scientists say.
Once people reach a certain age, their “will to live” is a strong predictor for survival irrespective of their age, gender or whether they suffer from two or more chronic, life-affecting illnesses.
Scientists from Helsinki University looked at 400 people aged between 75 and 90 who lived independently in the city.
They wanted to assess the people’s will to live which – although it is highly subjective – can be defined as a psychological expression of the striving for life.
“Put simply, our study showed that those who wanted to live longer also survived longer,” the Daily Express quoted Researcher Helena Karppinen as saying.
The study is published in the journal Age and Ageing, the scientific journal of the British Geriatrics Society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Worried about the dark circles under your eyes? Check out home remedies to get rid of them
- Simple ayurvedic home remedies to get rid of belly fat
- We should start meals with spicy food and end with sweets – Here’s why
- Home remedies for shiny, white teeth - Check out
- Top 3 home remedies to prevent hair fall