Schoolgirl may die if she combs her hair
London: A schoolgirl in Scotland has a rare condition following which she has been asked not to comb her hair too vigorously as it could lead to her brain shutting down.
Megan Stewart, 13, has a rare condition - Hair Brushing Syndrome - which means she must avoid wearing polyester or touching balloons. Any contact with electrical charges could confuse her brain into switching itself off or sending signals to her heart and lungs to make them do so, Daily Express reported.
Stewart has to dampen her hair to reduce static and lie down before combing it and is banned from participating in school science experiments.
The teenager, from Wishaw, Lanarkshire, Scotland was diagnosed three years ago, after she collapsed as her mother Sharon brushed her hair.
Her mother Stewart, 41, said: "I was brushing her hair when she flopped over and her lips turned blue. I thought she was having a fit, so we called the paramedics. It was really scary."
The girl was taken to a hospital where medics revived her. It was two months later that neurologists made the diagnosis.
Doctors at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children at Yorkhill in Glasgow, believe birth complications may be responsible for the condition.
She also suffers from asthma and dorsal stream dysfunction, a problem with the connection between her eye and brain which means she can`t see fast-moving objects.
But the determined girl says: "I know not to brush my hair too fast and if I feel unwell to stop doing it. I think I know what my limits are. I don`t let it affect me and I can still live a normal life."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend goals: Ranveer Singh ecstatic with Deepika Padukone's 'xXx' rage!-- See pic
- Sunny Deol's 'Ghayal Once Again' rakes in Rs 26.85 cr!
- Akshay-Nimrat's 'Airlift' roars at the Box Office, mints Rs 121.74 cr!
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?
- Mindfulness meditation improves health - Here's how
- By keeping your kitchen clean, you can stay slim - Here’s how
- Health benefits of drinking water on empty stomach – Watch video
- Worried about broken sleep? Know why you wake up at night - Watch video
- Winter 2015: Stock up cabinet with easy to make lip balms