Sharon Osbourne undergoes double mastectomy
London: Reality TV star Sharon Osbourne has undergone a preventive double mastectomy over fears she could develop breast cancer.
Osbourne, who battled colon cancer in early 2000, was horrified to discover she has a genetic mutation, which raises her chances of developing the disease. So she decided to undergo the surgery.
"As soon as I found out I had the breast cancer gene, I thought: `The odds are not in my favour`. I have had cancer before and I didn`t want to live under that cloud. I decided to just take everything off, and had a double mastectomy," contactmsic.com quoted Osbourne as saying.
The 60-year-old insists she had no doubts about undergoing the operation, which lasted 13 hours, as she wants to live a long and happy life with her family.
"For me, it wasn`t a big decision, it was a no-brainer. I didn`t want to live the rest of my life with that shadow hanging over me. I want to be around for a long time and be a grandmother to Pearl."
"I didn`t even think of my breasts in a nostalgic way, I just wanted to be able to live my life without that fear all the time. It`s not `pity me`, it`s a decision I made that`s got rid of this weight that I was carrying around," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Banning films with Pakistan actors could result in losses for Indian cinema, says CBFC chief Nihalani
- MS Dhoni goes gaga over Sushant Singh Rajput's performance in his biopic
- Priyanka Chopra to go 'Live With Kelly' once again
- Pakistani artistes controversy: Abu Azmi backs Salman Khan, says Shiv Sena indulging in 'theatrics'
- SS Rajamouli reveals logo of Prabhas starrer 'Baahubali: The Conclusion' – View inside
- Worried about the dark circles under your eyes? Check out home remedies to get rid of them
- Simple ayurvedic home remedies to get rid of belly fat
- We should start meals with spicy food and end with sweets – Here’s why
- Home remedies for shiny, white teeth - Check out
- Top 3 home remedies to prevent hair fall