When Robin Gibb almost died

London: Bee Gees co-founder Robin Gibb has revealed how he almost lost his life due to a blocked intestine, the same condition that killed his twin brother Maurice in 2003.

Gibb, 60, revealed that he had been suffering from nagging stomach cramps during a concert, and even though he was not in serious pain, he decided to a see a doctor.

The reason he decided to see a doctor was because seven years ago his twin Maurice died following complications from an undiagnosed twisted intestine.

"I fully expected the pain to pass," the Daily Express quoted Gibb, who had been performing this summer in the Belgium capital Brussels, as saying.

"I’ve never been ill in my life but naturally what happened to my brother was at the back of my mind, especially because it was stomach pain.

"I was checked over in Belgium and again when I got home. Everything seemed fine but the next day the pain intensified," he revealed.

Prompted by his wife Dwina he returned to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford, where a series of tests and scans was arranged, and then returned home to await the results.

But he was called back the same day, after his consultant, who happened to be playing bridge with a colleague, Professor Neil Mortensen, an expert in colorectal surgery, discussed the case.

"He knew what had happened to Maurice so his antenna was up," Gibb said.

"Because I’m a twin he suspected my symptoms might have been linked. Later that evening they both went back to the hospital to look at my scan results and I got a call to come in," he revealed.

Gibb had just arrived at the hospital when he was told to prepare for emergency surgery to correct a blocked intestine.

Gibb, who was able to leave hospital four days later, has been told there is no obvious connection with his brother’s condition and has since been given a clean bill of health for which he is extremely grateful.

"You can’t jump in an ambulance for every ache and pain but my family history made me take more notice of the symptoms," he said.

"I didn’t really feel ill but pain doesn’t have to be agonising to be life-threatening. I’d say to anyone if you have symptoms that don’t go away, get them checked out.

"I was also very lucky that the experts happened to be playing cards at the right time. The surgeon did a fantastic job. He said the surgery was routine but the key was getting a diagnosis in time," he added.


By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link