56% drop in HIV infections amongst Indians since 2000
New Delhi: The number of new annual HIV infections has declined by around 56 percent during the last decade in the country, the Lok Sabha was informed Friday.
Minister of State for Health S. Gandhiselvan said that based on HIV estimations 2010, it is estimated that India had approximately 1.2 lakh new infections in 2009, as against 2.7 lakh in 2000.
"Similar reduction in HIV incidence has been noted in all the high prevalence states in the southern and northeastern region. However, some low prevalence states have shown a slight increase in the number of new infections over the past two years," he said.
Of the 1.2 lakh estimated new infections in 2009, the six high prevalence states account for only 39 percent of the cases, while the states of Odisha, Bihar, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat account for 41 percent of new infections.
"In regard to number of reported HIV/AIDS cases registered in ART (anti-retroviral therapy) centres for HIV care, during the year 2010-11, 320,114 HIV/AIDS cases were registered against 246,627 in 2009-10. However, during 2011-12, the same number has been decreased to 275,377 cases," Gandhiselvan said.
The minister said that there was significant decline in HIV prevalence among female sex workers and young women (15-24 years) seeking antenatal care in the high-prevalence southern states.
comments powered by Disqus
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand