Kerala bans gutka, paan masala
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala government Friday imposed a complete ban on the sale and consumption of gutka and paan masala in the state.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy told reporters that the government order was passed May 22 and the news would be passed across the state in a few days.
"Violators of the law can be imprisoned for up to six years and a fine of Rs.5 lakh will be imposed on them," Chandy said.
"A special official has been designated in each district who would be assisted by a team to see that the ban is enforced in the right manner," he said.
"One reason why we decided to come out with the ban was because of the increasing number of cases of gutka-induced ailments."
The notification banning these products has been made under the provisions of the Food Safety and Standards Regulation Act, 2011.
Tobacco-based gutka and paan masala is already banned in Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Karnataka.
comments powered by Disqus
- B'desh PM Sheikh Hasina slams Pak in UN for 1971 atrocities
- India replies strongly to Pak PM in UN, terms Pakistan as 'Terroristan'
- Cornered Pakistan plays Kashmir-card again at UN
- How much has PM Modi's constituency Varanasi developed after 2014 polls?
- Honeypreet's husband Vishwas Gupta addresses a press conference - Watch
- China's snub to Pakistan at UN: Won't meddle in Kashmir, solve it with India
- Meet Nirvaan, India's smallest and youngest baby born after 22 weeks
- IRCTC blocks debit card payment gateway for several banks
- Toddler dies half an hour after allegedly being administered polio drops in Ludhiana
- Golmaal Again: Ajay Devgn - Rohit Shetty’s funny team is back to tickle your funny bone – Watch trailer