Goa CM Manohar Parrikar wins Panaji Assembly by-election, defeating his Congress rival Girish Chodankar.
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Monday won the Panaji assembly by-election by 4,803 votes. Vishwajit Pratapsingh Rane wins Valpoi by garnering 16188 votes.
Here are the Live updates: -
- PM Narendra Modi congrats Manohar Parrikar and Vishwajit Rane for the emphatic win.
"Congrats to @manoharparrikar & @visrane for the impressive wins in Panaji & Valpoi respectively. I thank the people of Goa for their support," the PM tweeted.
BJP wrests Valpoi. Vishwajit Pratapsingh Rane wins by garnering 16188 votes. Congress' Roy R Raik at second position with 6101 votes.
- Panaji by-election final tally: Parrikar gets 9862 votes, Congress' Chodankar 5059, Shirodkar 220.
- "I will resign from Rajya Sabha next week," says Goa CM Manohar Parrikar after winning Panaji by-poll.
- Union Health Minister JP Nadda congratulates Parrikar. "Congratulations to Sh @manoharparrikar ji on winning the Panaji by-polls," Nadda tweeted.
- Parrikar defeated his rival Congress candidate Girish Chodankar and Goa Suraksha Manch's Anand Shirodkar.
- Manohar Parrikar wins from Panaji with 9204 votes in his kitty. It amounts to 63.63 percent of total votes.
- Manohar Parrikar leads by a margin of 4520 votes in second round.
- It's good news for the BJP as Manohar Parrikar is leading with 4290 votes in the first round, while Congress leader Girish Raya Chodankar has bagged 2252 votes.
- Panaji bypoll: Manohar Parrikar leading in Round 1.
- Counting of votes begin. Results expected in three hours.
- Counting of votes polled for the two assembly by-elections in Goa will start from 8.00 am.
- The counting would be held at the Entertainment Society of Goa complex.
Parrikar is pitted against Congress nominee Girish Chodankar and Goa Suraksha Manch's Anand Shirodkar.
In Valpoi, Health Minister and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Vishwajit Rane is contesting against Congress's Roy Naik.
Panaji and Valpoi had recorded 70 per cent and 79.80 per cent voter turnout, respectively.