Arsenal needs to buy top players: Usmanov
London: Uzbek billionaire Alisher Usmanov, who is a major shareholder in the Arsenal Football Club, is of the opinion that manager Arsene Wenger needs to be given the financial backing to bring in experienced players to end the club’s six-year trophy drought.
Since lifting the FA Cup in 2005, Wenger’s men have lost a Champions League and a Carling Cup final, while never finishing higher than third in the Premier League.
“There is a widely-held view among most commentators, and one that I agree with, that the club needs to stiffen the defensive spine of the team, with a dominant keeper, strong centre-halves and a powerful defensive midfielder in the mould of Claude Makelele,” Usmanov told a newspaper.
“The Premier League is one of the most competitive leagues in the world and whilst we have consistently challenged for honors, the club needs to develop talent and buy top-class players to win the trophies we all crave. This requires greater investment which, I believe, has been lacking thus far,” he added.
The 57-year-old, who owns almost 30 percent of Arsenal Holdings, also believes that self-interest among the board members is hindering the progress of the club.
“If the role of a board member is to oversee a trophy-less period, while making significant personal profits and asking fans to pay inflation-busting ticket price increases then, no, I would not want to be on the board,” Usmanov said.
“If instead it is to try to deliver sustained success, to increase your personal investment in the club, to help develop the commercial position and to ensure that the fans have a say in the running of the club then, yes, I think I certainly have something to contribute,” he added. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof