HI won’t be recognized: International Hockey Federation
New Delhi: With the turmoil in Indian hockey showing no signs of relenting, the International Hockey Federation (FIH) today made it clear that it will only recognise the national federation which abides by the world body`s guidelines.
The Sports Ministry shot off a letter to FIH yesterday stating that it has given recognition to KPS Gill-led Indian Hockey Federation as the sole National Sports Federation to run the sport in the country.
In its letter, the ministry also intimated the world body of its decision to derecognise Hockey India, which completed its much-postponed and controversial elections on Thursday under the watchful eyes of FIH Vice-President Antonio von Ondarza, who was the observer for the poll process.
Asked about game`s governing body`s future course of action on the matter, FIH Communications Manager Arjen Meijer said, "As this is an internal Indian affair, the FIH will not comment on this."
"However, only a national hockey association that is in confirmation with the FIH statutes can be recognised as official national body for hockey in its country," the FIH official told a news agency.
The Ministry had yesterday gave official status to IHF, two years after it was de-recognised by the Indian Olympic Association under controversial circumstances.
The Ministry also informed the FIH that IHF was in the process of unification with Indian Women`s Hockey Federation and post-merger it would apply for affiliation to the international body.
The Ministry`s move came after the Delhi High Court had last month lifted the suspension on IHF.
However, after the completion of HI elections, Ondarza made it clear that no government can infringe upon the autonomy of the Olympic Charter.
He also said that there was no question of recognizing IHF as FIH disaffiliated it way back in 2000.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels