India lose in semis of Asia Youth U-19 badminton
Lucknow: India`s campaign ended in the Asia Youth Under-19 badminton championships after the home team succumbed to a 0-3 defeat against formidable China in the semifinals of the mixed team event at Gomti Nagar.
The Indian shuttlers had their chances but the youngsters failed to sustain the pressure on their rivals and blew the opportunity in the end.
In the morning session, India assured itself a place in the semifinals with a 3-0 victory over Chinese Taipei to set up a clash with the mighty Chinese but none of the home shuttlers could get across their rivals at the UP Badminton Academy this evening.
In the first match of the semifinal encounter, K Srikanth and K Maneesha had open up a 6-2 lead in the opening game but Tianyi Pei and Dongni Ou soon caught up and walked away with giant strides, notching up a 21-13, 21-11 victory.
Pratul Joshi was then handed the responsibility of taming the Chinese men`s singles player Kai Guo and the Madhya Pradesh lad was quick to grab the first game.
But Kai bounced back strongly to level the match after pocketing the hard-fought second game.
The decider too was a close affair but it was the Chinese who had the last laugh as India conceded a 0-2 lead.
All hopes rested on Venkatesh B and Shivam Sharma but the Indian men`s doubles pair could not thwart the challenge of Chinese duo of Zhuofu Chen and Tianyi Pei and lost 14-21, 16-21 to crash out of the event.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists