Khel Ratna Mary Kom prays for peace in Manipur
New Delhi: Herself a victim of the continuing unrest in Manipur, this year`s Khel Ratna awardee and four-time world champion woman boxer M C Mary Kom wants to see peace returning to her violence-hit home state.
As she prepares to receive the country`s highest sporting honour tomorrow, Mary Kom said the situation back home is an "unsettling" thought.
"I want peace for Manipur. It should move ahead like the rest of the country. It should be one India with Manipur in it," the 27-year-old pugilist, whose father-in-law was shot dead in December 2006, told reporters.
"I have myself experienced it (the volatile law and order situation). My father-in-law, who came to Delhi to support me during the 2006 World Championships, was shot dead in December that year. I still don`t know why it happened. I don`t know who did it," she recalled.
Although little about Manipur has been reported by the national media, the state has been on the boil for the past one month with civillian protests against the armed forces.
Locals allege that the men in uniform commit atrocities and some recently-released pictures of an alleged fake encounter have acted as fuel to the fire.
Asked what she thought of the existing Armed Forces Special Powers Act in the state which allows arrests and search operations without warrants, Mary Kom refused comment but said she wants the situation to normalise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!