Khel Ratna wipes last 2 year memories: Narang
New Delhi: Ace shooter Gagan Narang who is all set to be conferred with the country`s highest sporting honour – the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna – after being recommended for the honour by the awards selection committee said that this helps wipe the memories of the last two years.
Speaking exclusively to Zeenews.com, Narang said that the award is very dear and is a huge motivation. Last year Narang caused a stir when he threatened to skip the Commonwealth games over the disappointment of missing out on Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award.
He said “This helps wipe the memories of the last two years, the award has come to me now and I am very happy for that.”
He also acknowledged the achievement of Tejeswini Sawant who was nominated for the Arjuna award. “I am immensely proud and happy for Tejeswini Sawant as well for winning the Arjuna award in shooting”.
The other Arjuna awardees this year include Indian football captain and striker Sunil Chettri, rising tennis star Somdev Devvarman and ace badminton player Jwala Gutta.
Somdev had struck a golden double last year by finishing on top in both the Commonwealth and Asian Games singles events.
Fly weight boxer Suranjoy Singh, who clinched an astonishing seven back-to-back gold medals last year including the Commonwealth Games gold, is also in the list of athletes recommended for the Arjuna.
The selection panel for the awards was headed by sprint legend P T Usha and comprised, among others, tennis ace Leander Paes, hockey icon Ashok Kumar, ace woman boxer M C Mary Kom, shooter Anjali Bhagwat and national squash coach Cyrus Poncha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof