Magic Murray triggers Austrian `Melz-down`
Melbourne: A red-hot Andy Murray destroyed Austria`s Juergen Melzer 6-3, 6-1, 6-1 to reach the Australian Open quarter-finals on Monday, firing an emphatic title warning with a performance of pure class.
The Briton, who lost to Roger Federer in last year`s Melbourne final, produced arguably the best tennis of the tournament so far to see off Melzer in an hour and 44 minutes.
Fifth seed Murray had Melzer screaming furiously at himself, the 11th seed hurling his racquet to the court as the Scot powered into a two-set lead.
Murray capped an awesome display on a sun-baked Rod Laver Arena with his 13th ace to suggest he can finally end his wait for a first grand slam title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Talks on Kashmir issue needed, want peace restored in Valley: Pak High Commissioner Abdul Basit
- Gold rebounds on jewellers' buying, silver jumps Rs 280/kg
- US Open 2016: Saketh Myneni advances to main draw
- Subramaian Swamy targets GST Network again; will write to Amit Shah, BJP CMs
- West Indies vs India, 1st T20I: As it happened...