Man City to be top team in Manchester this season: Adebayor
London: Togo international Emmanuel Adebayor has claimed that Manchester City will be the top team in Manchester this season.
“I don’t think it will be long before we are the top team in Manchester. People talk about it being in a year’s time, but I have the belief it can be this season. With the squad we have, I see no reason why we can’t do amazing things this year,” Adebayor said.
“I moved here for football reasons and for nothing else and when people see what we are capable of they will begin to understand my choice,” Adebayor was quoted as saying.
“At City I have a chance to help make history for the club and the fans. I have the chance to be part of their first Premier League title and their first European Cup and if I didn’t think they were real possibilities then I would not have joined,” he added.
“The goal is not to be bigger than Manchester United, but to be bigger than everybody. We want to dominate both England and Europe, so that doesn’t mean being bigger than just Chelsea or Manchester United, but bigger than Madrid and AC Milan as well,” he said.
“I was created to play football and that’s what I have come to do at City. I have come to play at the highest level. I have a huge amount of respect for the game. People can talk about players joining City for money, but players know the truth. Nobody hears the pitch, the manager and chairman give players when they are trying to convince them to sign,” said Adebayor.
Adebayor arrived at Eastlands last month from the Emirates in a 25 million pound deal that had been on the cards since last October.
The Abu Dhabi Group’s spending on players this summer alone is still expected to burst through the 100 million pound mark, if and when they complete the signing of Everton’s Joleon Lescott.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars