Phelps expresses sympathy for Woods
Manchester: Olympic swimming champion Michael Phelps expressed sympathy on Thursday for the plight of fellow American Tiger Woods and said he fully understood what it was like to make mistakes.
World number one Woods has taken an indefinite break from golf after admitting he had been unfaithful to his wife.
Phelps, speaking on the eve of a two-day meeting between the United States and a European team, said: "He (Woods) is going through a hard time right now."
"It can`t be easy but I just wish him the best for himself and his family," the swimmer told a news conference at the Manchester Aquatics Centre.
The 24-year-old American, who won a record eight gold medals at the Beijing Olympics last year, was forced to apologise early this year after being photographed inhaling from a pipe used to smoke marijuana. No charges were laid.
"I`d be the first to admit I`ve made a lot of mistakes both in and out of the pool," said Phelps.
"But of the mistakes I`ve made I`ve never made the same mistake again. I`ve become a much stronger person and I`ve helped other people not make the same mistakes."
Phelps, who will be competing for the first time in a British pool, confirmed he planned to take part in the 2012 London Olympics but would not reveal what schedule he was planning.
"The goals I have for London are very high and they are going to be very challenging," he said.
"I think there is something there that excites me and I know what I want to achieve and if I achieve those then I can look back and say I`ve done everything in the sport that I wanted to do."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand