Rooney waits to hear if he faces action over swearing
Manchester: Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney will learn on Monday whether he faces disciplinary action from the Football Association for swearing on television while celebrating a hat-trick.
Rooney has apologised for shouting an expletive into a camera after completing a 14-minute treble that inspired his team to come from two goals down to beat West Ham United 4-2 and go seven points clear at the top of the Premier League.
"Tomorrow there will be a decision," FA director of football development Trevor Brooking told BBC Radio 5 Live when asked whether the governing body would be investigating Rooney`s outburst.
"It was a surprise, having scored a hat-trick, to react that way. It is something we will have to look at."
United published a statement from Rooney on their website.
"I want to apologise for any offence that may have been caused by my goal celebration, especially any parents or children that were watching," the 25-year-old said.
"Emotions were running high, and on reflection my heat-of-the-moment reaction was inappropriate. It was not aimed at anyone in particular." Rooney had been mobbed by team mates as he celebrated his first hat-trick of what has been a troubled and below-par season before heading towards a television camera and yelling into it.
His behaviour, rather than his three goals, dominated the back pages in British newspapers with The Sunday Times` main headline announcing "Red Devil Turns Air Blue" and The News of the World declaring "Rood Yob."
Rooney made headlines at last year`s World Cup for another television outburst when he turned to a camera and shouted "Nice to see your home fans boo you. That`s what loyal support is," after jeers greeted England`s abject 0-0 draw with Algeria.
His season has been hit by injuries, off-field problems and a loss of form and Saturday`s goals took his league tally to 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands