Suranjoy wins gold at President`s Cup
Baku: Asian champion Suranjoy Singh became the first Indian boxer to clinch a gold medal at the inter-continental President`s Cup after out-punching Frenchman Nordine Oubaali 8-1 in the fly weight (51kg) finals.
The 22-year-old Manipuri`s triumph also fetched him a USD 3,000 cash prize at the prestigious season-ending event, where confederations from Asia, America, Africa, Europe and Oceania were pitted against each other.
Representing Asia One, Suranjoy didn`t allow his rival from the Europe Two team to land a single scoring punch in the first two rounds.
Relying on his trademark left straights and cross punches, the reigning national champion opened up a 3-0 lead at the end of the opening round.
Suranjoy scored another four points in the next three minutes to be 7-0 ahead. The final round ended 1-1 but the huge lead from the previous two rounds was enough for the Indian to emerge triumphant.
"Nordine is a good boxer and fights very aggressively but I pushed him on the backfoot in the very first round. I had never fought against him before but it was not that difficult to read his game once I entered the ring," an elated Suranjoy told reporters.
"I wanted to win a gold and I have done that. I will be getting some prize money for this but that was always a secondary thing for me," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday