Tomic a win away from Australian Open wild card
Melbourne: US Open junior champion Bernard Tomic is now just a win away from earning the Australian Open wild card with a 7-6(4), 6-4 semi-final defeat of Kaden Hensel here Saturday.
The winner of the week-long showdown, which concludes Sunday, receives an entry into the Jan 17-31 opening Grand Slam of the season, where Tomic won a round 11 months ago.
His finals opponent will be second seed Nick Lindahl, who booked a place over John Millman in three sets. “Today I played really well,” said Tomic. “I knew I had to play good and return well.
“It would be great to have that wildcard, and I’m going to fight for every ball tomorrow. If I lose I lose; if I win I win.”
In the women’s draw, Olivia Rogowska will face former top 40 player Casey Dellacqua for that title.
Rogowska accounted for Jessica Moore 6-2, 6-2 while Dellacqua needed the full distance to put out Sally Peers 2-6, 6-1, 6-2.
“When I played her at the beginning of the week I didn’t know what to expect so I’m just going to go out there tomorrow, stay mentally tough, stay positive and not give her any free points like I did a couple of days ago,” said Dellacqua.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video