UEFA relax rules on cup-tied players in Champions League
London: UEFA relaxed its rules on players appearing for two teams in one season in the Champions and Europa Leagues.
The executive committee agreed that a player who appears for a club in any of the preliminary rounds of the Champions League or Europa League can play for another team in the competition proper as long as his original team is eliminated in the preliminary competition.
"The rules have been relaxed regarding what the English call "cup-tied" players, that is players who have already played for one team in a competition in a season, UEFA general secretary Gianni Infantino told reporters.
"From next season, if a player`s club is eliminated and he signs for a new club by the end of the summer transfer window on September 1 he can play for his new club in either competition.”
"If he is not signed by the end of the summer window, he can move in the January window."
The one stipulation that remains is that clubs can add up to three new players in January, only one of whom will be eligible if they have previously played in the qualifying rounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray