UK PM Cameron calls FIFA election a farce
London: British Prime Minister David Cameron described the recent FIFA election as a farce on Wednesday and said the standing of world soccer`s governing body had never sunk so low.
FIFA president Sepp Blatter was re-elected for another four years last week but was the only candidate after Asian soccer chief Mohamed Bin Hammam pulled out after being investigated by FIFA into alleged corruption during his campaign.
The Football Association, which had already said it would abstain in the vote, wanted the election postponed and Cameron has now made his views clear having been involved in England`s failed 2018 World Cup bid.
"Personally, I have seen football governance at an international level and I wasn`t that impressed by what I saw," he told parliament.
"FIFA`s reputation is now at an all-time low, and obviously the election with just one candidate was something of a farce but it has to become more transparent and more accountable. They`ve got to prove that they are actually capable of doing the job that they are meant to.”
"But ultimately change has got to come from within football and I am sure that the FA will want to play a very major role in helping to bring that about."
The bids to host the 2018 and 2020 World Cups were mired by allegations of corruption with two members of FIFA`s executive committee suspended after accusations they wanted money for votes.
Russia won the 2108 hosting rights and the 2022 tournament went to Qatar, which has denied newspapers allegations they "bought" the World Cup.
Blatter has said that the next World Cup hosts should be chosen by all 208 member associations of FIFA and not just the 24-man executive committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof