UP sugar mills find Mulayam victory sweet
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party`s convincing win
in Uttar Pradesh on Tuesday cheered over 100 sugar mills in the
state, the country`s second largest producer of sweetener.
Pointing out that no new investment came in the sugar
industry in last five years in UP, the industry`s apex body,
ISMA, said it has high hopes on Mulayam Singh, who is set
become the next Chief Minister of the state.
"We expect that new government will formulate
policies to encourage investment in the sugar sector which was
almost missing in last five years. No new sugar plant was
established in last five years," Director General of Indian
Sugar Mills Association (ISMA) Abinash Verma said.
He noted that the incentives announced by the then SP
Government in 2004 were discontinued during last five years
and hoped that the same would be revived by the incoming
Verma said that the cane price arrears have mounted to
about Rs 4,000 crore as millers are incurring losses since
past couple of years.
"We expect that the new government would provide some
financial incentives to help sugar mills in clearing the cane
price arrear," he added.
The cane arrears to UP farmers are due to high State
Advisory Price (SAP) announced by the Mayawati government for
the 2011-12 marketing year at Rs 240 per quintal, the industry
However, stocks of UP-based sugar mills could not sustain
their initial gains amid an overall stock market downtrend.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400