Uruguay can win but won`t stay at the top: Tabarez
Cape Town: Uruguay can win a third World Cup even if they cannot regain a permanent place back at the top table of soccer, coach Oscar Tabarez said on Monday.
"It would be utopian to think of Uruguay`s permanence at the summit ... but we can believe in circumstantial results," Tabarez said on the eve of Uruguay`s semi-final against Netherlands in Cape Town (1830 GMT).
"I think the World Cups are quite full of (surprise) results that people don`t expect and which today continue to cause astonishment," he told a news conference.
Uruguay, having won the first World Cup as hosts in Montevideo in 1930, caused a huge shock by upsetting Brazil in the 1950 decider, the so-called Maracanazo, for their second title.
The Uruguayans have struggled internationally since, their best placing coming in the semi-finals in Mexico in 1970. They have only reached four of the last 10 World Cups.
"(At the draw) when we landed our (difficult) group, they were saying prayers for us," Tabarez said.
"We`re at a party to which we were not invited ... but we have the right to stay. It depends on us," former school teacher Tabarez, known as El Maestro, said.
He said the world had changed since Uruguay`s heyday in the first half of the last century when they also won the Olympic title twice, in 1924 and 1928.
As a small nation of little more than three million people, the handicaps had become too great.
"The difference between the first and third worlds is much greater now ... Luckily, good players keep appearing (in Uruguay) but not in big numbers. In other countries they have more players than we have inhabitants.
"(But) if we hadn`t had dreams up to now, and still had them, we wouldn`t have got here," he said.
"We`re conscious we haven`t played great football but I don`t think it`s just down to luck."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what