Uttrakhand govt announces 75 lacs for Olympic gold medallist
Dehradun: With an aim to encourage sports persons, the Uttrakhand government today announced a slew of cash awards, including a whopping Rs 75 lakh to the Olympic gold medal winners from the state in future.
The silver and bronze medallist will get rupees 50 lakh and 25 lakh respectively.
Speaking on the occasion of National Sports Day, the birth anniversay of India’s legendary hockey player Major Dhyanchand, chief minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank said his government will not only encourage the national and international players but also talented ones from rural areas.
He also announced that the gold medal winners in Commonwealth Games and other international competitions will get rupees 10 lakh from his government.
The silver and bronze medallist will get five lakh and three lakh respectively.
Remembering Dhyanchand, Nishank said, “He gave India a new identity with his magical play. He single handedly won many gold medals for India in international competitions.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?