Winning Champions League is the next aim: Gerrard
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard insists that his club’s main aim next season will be to break back into the top four in the Premier League after two seasons finishing outside of the Champions League places.
The Reds were regulars in the top four under former manager Rafa Benitez, but have lost ground to the likes of Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City in recent seasons and could only manage a sixth-place finish last season.
“I’d love nothing better than to lead the lads to some silverware next year. Getting into the Champions League will be the main aim,” A magazine quoted Gerrard, as saying.
“Everyone wants to be involved in it, we’ve had some fantastic nights at Anfield in the competition and we all want to see those nights return,” he added.
Gerrard, who had missed about half of last season due to a groin injury, further said that he would make a comeback “with a brand new groin”. The 31-year-old midfielder had played only 24 matches last season in all competitions due to the injury. “I’ve had the problem sorted with surgery and next season I’ll be fit after a good rest, with a brand new groin,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs