World Champ Mary Kom suspended from boxing
Jamshedpur: Four-time world champion M C Mary
Kom was today suspended till October 27 for "unsporting
behaviour" after her quarter-final loss in the Women`s
National Boxing Championship here.
Mary Kom, who was representing the All India Police Board
(AIPB) at the domestic meet, lost her cool after losing to
Pinky Jingra (Haryana) in the quarter-final of the 10th
edition of the meet at the J R D Tata Sports complex here
Rakesh Thakran, Coordinator of IBF, said the decision to
suspend Kom, temporarily till October 27, was taken by a
nine-member jury panel headed by N S Kichi, Vice-President of
The issue will be taken up at the annual general meeting
of IBF to be held at Hyderabad on October 27.
"Being a senior player, Kom should have taken the defeat
sportingly but her behaviour was uncalled for," Boidar said.
Kom and L Sarita Devi (AIPB) who lost to Sunita Yadav
of Railway Sports Promotion Board (RSPB) in the
pre-quarterfinal round in the 54 kgs weight category last
night, alleged that "regional discrimination" and a planned
conspiracy by a certain lobby in the IBF led to their defeat.
"The pugilists, both men and women from North-East, are
being treated indifferently by a section of IBF officials,"
they told newsmen.
Kom said while she did not lodge any written complaint in
this regard, she will take up the matter with the General
Secretary of IBF P K M Raja, who will be in the steel city
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court