Advertisement

Wish I had a gun in my hand, would have shot Kasab in court: Survivors recall 26/11 attacks

Today marks the ninth anniversary of the 26/11 Mumbai terrorist attack

Wish I had a gun in my hand, would have shot Kasab in court: Survivors recall 26/11 attacks

MUMBAI: On November 26, 2008, Mumbai was attacked by 10 terrorists of Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT). One of the most dreadful terrorist attacks in Indian history, the incident killed at least 164 people and injuring several hundred. Today marks the ninth anniversary of the attack.

Recalling the events of the day, Mohd Taufeeq, a tea seller at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus railway station said, “I still get disturbed whenever I think of that moment (26/11 attacks). I rescued many injured people, the situation was devastating. I am just waiting for the day the real mastermind sitting in Pakistan is caught.”

“My daughter was just 9 years old when she got shot. It was traumatic. Yes, we are happy that Kasab was hanged. But we will not be satisfied till the real mastermind sitting in Pakistan is punished,” said the father of 26/11 attacks survivor Devika.

Recalling he emotions on seeing Ajmal Kasab in court, Devika said, "When I saw Kasab in the courtroom I was livid. I wished I had a gun in my hand, would have shot him there. Anyway, Kasab was a mosquito, hope someday the big terrorists are brought to book."

"I went into depression after the incident. My relatives had no chance to escape. Happy that perpetrators were either killed or punished. Hafiz Saeed is in Pakistan, would be ideal if Indian Govt gets him here and punishes him," says Rahim Ansari who lost 6 relatives in 26/11 attack.

The mastermind of the attacks – Hafiz Saeed, the co-founder of Lashkar-e-Taiba and the chief Jama'at-ud-Da'wah (JuD) – was freed from house arrest by Pakistan on Thursday.

His release was condemned internationally, with the White House issuing the statement calling for his immediate re-arrest and prosecution on Thanksgiving holidays. It is rare for the US government to issue a statement during the holidays, but the State Department felt that the issue was urgent enough to ignore this tradition.

Lashing out at Saeed's release, the Ministry of External Affairs said that India is outraged that a self-confessed terrorist has been allowed to walk free.

"India, as indeed the entire International community, is outraged that a self-confessed and a UN proscribed terrorist is being allowed to walk free and continue with his evil agenda," MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said.

With ANI inputs