A ‘true patriot’ should become next PM: VHP leader
Ahmedabad: Amid talk about Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s projection as BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate, Vishwa Hindu Parishad leader Acharya Dharmendra on Sunday said he wants "a true patriot" to occupy the country`s top post after the next elections.
"I want to see a true patriot becomes next Prime Minister ...I don`t think Modi is a traitor...However, we have to see what happens ahead (aage aage dekhiye hota hai kya)," he said when asked whether he would endorse Modi`s candidature for the PM`s post.
Dharmendra was addressing a press conference after inaugurating a school function in Ahemdabad.
In reference to Modi`s recent reported remarks in Haridwar that he was not a leader of Hindus only, the VHP leader said, "that means he can be a leader of others as well."
"But the moot question is, will others like Muslims and Christians accept him as their leader?" the VHP leader added and said,"I don`t believe they will accept him."
On the Modi Government`s move to seek death penalty for former BJP Minister Maya Kodnani and nine other convicts in the 2002 Naroda Patiya massacre case, he said "there might be some political compulsions for this decision."
"Only Gujarat government can answer why they approved such a decision. See, Modi himself is facing accusations, very serious ones. He is also not free from charges."
Strongly opposing the move to seek capital punishment for Kodnani and Babu Bajrangi (a Bajrang Dal leader and one of the convicts), he said, "No one sought death penalty for (accused of) 1984 (anti-Sikh) Delhi riots; not a single case was filed against (former UP CM) Mulayam (Singh Yadav) who killed so many karsevaks in Ayodhya.
"(Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh) Badal is seeking amnesty for (Khalistani terrorist Devenderpal Singh) Bhullar and here death penalty for Mayaben? Is it justice?"
"Awarding such a harsh punishment in that (Naroda Patiya) case would be gross injustice," the VHP leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015