Andhra minister appears before CBI in Jagan case
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Cabinet minister Mopidevi Venkatramna on Tuesday appeared before the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for questioning in the case relating to alleged illegal assets of YSR Congress party leader YS Jaganmohan Reddy.
Mopidevi, who currently holds excise portfolio, was minister for infrastructure and investment during the tenure of late chief minister YS Rajasekhara Reddy when several decisions were taken allegedly to favour the latter`s son Jaganmohan Reddy.
The CBI officials will question him with regard to certain orders allegedly benefiting companies that in turn invested in Jaganmohan Reddy`s business.
Mopidevi is the first minister to appear before CBI in the case.
Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer Manmohan Singh also appeared before CBI. He was secretary, infrastructure and investment, when Mopidevi was the minister.
Mopidevi is one of the six ministers and Manmohan Singh one of the eight IAS officers who were issued notices by the Supreme Court March 12, asking them why their role should not be probed with regard to the 26 government orders issued during the tenure of Rajasekhara Reddy (2004-09).
YSR, as Rajasekhara Reddy was popularly known, died in a helicopter crash in 2009.
The orders allegedly benefited companies in the form of lands and licenses, and they invested huge money in the businesses owned by Jagan under a quid pro quo arrangement.
The CBI had booked a case against Jaganmohan Reddy and 70 others on the direction of the Andhra Pradesh High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead