Fourth major train disaster in Andhra Pradesh in two years
Hyderabad: Saturday`s train blaze in Anantapur district is the fourth major disaster in Andhra Pradesh in less than two years.
At least 26 passengers were killed and 15 injured as a coach of the Bangalore-Nanded Express caught fire near Kothacheruvu railway station in Anantapur district, bordering Karnataka, in the early hours of Saturday.
As many as 35 people were killed and 25 were injured when a coach of the New Delhi-Chennai Superfast Express train caught fire near Nellore railway station on July 30 last year.
On May 22, 2012, 25 passengers were killed and 40 injured when the Hubli-Bangalore Hampi Express rammed into a stationary goods train at Penukonda. One of the coaches caught fire on the impact of the collision.
At least eight passengers of the Bokaro Express who pulled the chain in the train to bring it to a halt and alighted on hearing rumours of a fire, were run over by another train in Vizianagaram district November 02 this year.
The following are the other major train disasters in the state since 1990.
October 10, 1990: 40 people were burnt to death as suspected Maoists torched a passenger train at Cherlapally near Hyderabad.
July 2, 2003: An engine and two adjoining coaches of Guntur-Secunderabad Golconda Express fell off an bridge over a road near Warangal railway station, killing 18 persons.
October 29, 2005: Repalle-Secunderabad Delta Fast Passenger train fell into an overflowing stream near Valigonda in Nalgonda district, killing 114 people.
August 18, 2006: Five coaches of the Chennai-Hyderabad Express caught fire near Secunderabad railway station. Passengers had a miraculous escape.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH