Heat wave toll in Andhra Pradesh mounts to 274
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh continued to sizzle with the severe heat wave conditions claiming a heavy toll. Disaster management department officials on Saturday said the heat claimed 274 lives since April 01.
The officials had on Friday put the toll at 84. They, however, have not specified the number of casualties on Friday and Saturday.
The statement released by Commissioner Disaster Management T. Radha said Adilabad and Karimnagar districts accounted for 43 deaths each. Forty people died in Prakasam, 26 in Khammam, 20 in Warangal, 18 in East Godavari, 16 in West Godavari and 12 in Medak.
According to India Meteorological Department, heat wave conditions would prevail over some parts of Telangana and coastal Andhra Pradesh till Monday.
The highest maximum temperature of 47.3 degrees Celsius was recorded at Rentachintala in Guntur district on Saturday.
The government has already announced a compensation of Rs 50,000 each to kin of the victims belonging to Below Poverty Line (BPL) families.
Meanwhile, opposition parties have demanded the government to treat heat wave as a natural calamity and pay a compensation of Rs 2 lakh each to the families of the dead.
Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) leader Harish Rao demanded that employees of Singareni Collieries be given holidays in view of temperature in the coal belt shooting up to 50 degrees Celsius.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement