Mecca Masjid blast: Devendra Gupta, Lokesh Sharma get bail
Hyderabad: A local court on Monday granted conditional bail to Devendra Gupta and Lokesh Sharma who are accused in the 2007 Mecca Masjid bomb blast case.
The Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Court granted bail to Gupta and Sharma on furnishing personal bond of Rs 50,000 each and two sureties of the same amount.
The court also directed them to surrender their passports, said advocate N Ramchander who is representing Gupta and Sharma in the case.
The duo, who are presently under judicial custody in a Jaipur jail in connection with the Ajmer bomb blast case, will, however, continue to remain in the jail, he said.
Gupta and Sharma are among the five persons named as accused in the charge sheet filed by the Rajasthan ATS in the 2007 Ajmer blast case.
While seeking bail for the duo, the defence counsel argued that there was no material against his clients as the circumstances in the case were loosely connected and investigation into the case is completed.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) opposed the bail on the ground that Gupta and Sharma could influence the witnesses if granted bail.
A cell phone-controlled pipe bomb went off at the historic Mecca Masjid during the Friday prayers on May 18, 2007, killing nine people. Five protesters were killed in the police firing after the blast.
The NIA had last year filed a charge sheet against Swami Aseemanand in the Mecca Masjid blast case and also named Indresh Kumar in this connection.
The CBI, which had earlier probed the case after registering a case in June 2007 had named six persons, all allegedly having links with a right-wing Hindu outfit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly