MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi in dock over hate speech
Hyderabad: Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) leader Akbaruddin Owaisi, brother of MIM chief and Lok Sabha MP Asaduddin Owaisi, is in the dock over an alleged provocative speech which he made and hurt religious sentiments.
A complaint was lodged in a Hyderabad court against Akbaruddin Owaisi, by advocate Kashimshetty Karuna Sagar.
The complainant asked the court to file a case against Owaisi under Section 295A (for deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings or any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs), Section 153A (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion) and other relevant sections of the IPC.
The court today reserved its orders till tomorrow on the petition filed by the city-based lawyer.
The court will deliver its order tomorrow on whether to direct the police to file an FIR against Akbaruddin over the provocative speech, as alleged by the petitioner, or should it take direct cognisance of the offence and issue summons.
The lawyer has also claimed that he has received threats ever since he filed the complaint.
As per the complaint, Chandrayangutta MLA Owaisi used inflammatory and derogatory words against a particular community, at public meeting at Nirmal town of Adilabad district.
The BJP has sought criminal action against Owaisi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery