MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi in dock over hate speech
Hyderabad: Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) leader Akbaruddin Owaisi, brother of MIM chief and Lok Sabha MP Asaduddin Owaisi, is in the dock over an alleged provocative speech which he made and hurt religious sentiments.
A complaint was lodged in a Hyderabad court against Akbaruddin Owaisi, by advocate Kashimshetty Karuna Sagar.
The complainant asked the court to file a case against Owaisi under Section 295A (for deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings or any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs), Section 153A (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion) and other relevant sections of the IPC.
The court today reserved its orders till tomorrow on the petition filed by the city-based lawyer.
The court will deliver its order tomorrow on whether to direct the police to file an FIR against Akbaruddin over the provocative speech, as alleged by the petitioner, or should it take direct cognisance of the offence and issue summons.
The lawyer has also claimed that he has received threats ever since he filed the complaint.
As per the complaint, Chandrayangutta MLA Owaisi used inflammatory and derogatory words against a particular community, at public meeting at Nirmal town of Adilabad district.
The BJP has sought criminal action against Owaisi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past