Prasanna Kumar Mohanty appointed chief secretary of AP
Hyderabad: Dr Prasanna Kumar Mohanty, an IAS officer of the 1979 batch, has been appointed as Chief Secretary of Andhra Pradesh government.
He succeeds Minnie Mathew who retired today after completing a three-month extension.
Mohanty has worked in various capacities in different parts of the state. He was collector of Guntur, Commissioner of Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation and Commissioner and Special Officer of (erstwhile) Municipal Corporation of Hyderabad.
In the last two stints, he had won the Prime Minister’s Award for best civic services and it was during his tenure from 1999 to 2001 that Hyderabad got a facelift as it emerged into a metropolis.
Mohanty obtained Masters and doctorate degrees from Boston University and completed his post-doctorate work in Finance Policy and Urban Affairs from the Harvard.
He was Joint Secretary and Mission Director in the Union Urban Affairs Ministry in 2006 and rose to become Secretary and Mission Director.
He returned to his parent AP cadre in January this year and was appointed Chief Commissioner of Land Administration, as a stop-gap arrangement as incumbent Chief Secretary Minnie Mathew was given a three-month extension to overcome certain legal issues.
His tenure as Chief Secretary will end in February 2014.
Meanwhile, IYR Krishna Rao of the 1979 batch has been appointed as Chief Commissioner of Land Administration in place of Mohanty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry