Pro-unified AP ministers to take their battle to Delhi
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh ministers from the Andhra-Rayalaseema regions will camp in New Delhi from Monday to prevail upon the Congress high command as well as the Centre not to divide the state.
"We want Andhra Pradesh to remain united. We will present our case strongly to the party high command and the Centre in a democratic manner," School Education Minister S Sailajanath told reporters after a meeting of ministers here Saturday afternoon.
Ministers E Pratap Reddy, Sailajanath, Kondru Murali, Ganta Srinivasa Rao and others attended the meeting.
"Our stand is not to accept bifurcation of the state. We will meet Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and other leaders of the Congress high command and present our demand to them," Sailajanath said.
Former minister J C Diwakar Reddy debunked claims that the Centre was about to announce a favourable decision on Telangana.
"There are no indications whatsoever in this regard. Anyway, we are going to New Delhi on Monday to press the case for a unified state," Diwakar Reddy told newsmen separately.
He, however, added that they would abide by the Congress high command`s decision on the statehood issue.
Meanwhile, the Communist Party of India organised a demonstration near Indira Park here today to maintain pressure on the Centre for carving out Telangana state.
Addressing the gathering, CPI national general secretary Suravaram Sudhakar Reddy remarked that efforts to stall formation of Telangana state would continue till the last minute. "We have to unitedly thwart such efforts," he said.
Talking to reporters at the state Congress headquarters, Karimnagar MP Ponnam Prabhakar urged Andhra-Rayalaseema leaders to give up their efforts to block creation of Telangana state.
Former MP K Keshava Rao claimed that people of Andhra-Rayalaseema regions were in favour of division of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video