TDP holds protest at Krishna barrage in AP
Vijayawada: Principal opposition Telugu Desam Party on Saturday held a sit-in protest at Krishna barrage here demanding immediate release of water from Nagarjunsagar dam to four coastal districts reeling under scarcity conditions.
Besides TDP legislators and MPs from the districts of Krishna, West Godavari, Guntur and Prakasam, a large number of farmers from Krishna Delta too participated in the agitation against the "failure" of the Andhra Pradesh government in protecting their interests.
Most of the farmers from far flung areas arrived in vehicles and reached the venue despite barricades put in place by police and iron fencing done to prevent them from reaching the spot.
The Krishna Delta is facing acute shortage of water for both drinking and irrigation purposes due to deficit monsoon this year.
Andhra Pradesh High Court in its June 16 ruling stayed release of water from Nagarjunsagar dam to the four districts in case the water level is below 510 feet.
Agitating farmers have alleged that out of 13 lakh acres of land under irrigation in the four coastal districts, paddy cultivation could be completed only on 20 per cent of the total land.
The TDP and CPI had jointly given a call for today`s protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday