Tribal friendly policing to get priority: Police official
Kakinada: East Godavari Superintendent of Police (SP) K Sivasankara Reddy said that top priority would be accorded for tribal friendly policing so that they would be weaned away from the influence of Maoists.
Tribal welfare activities are part of the strategy to combat the Maoist menace, he said.
Speaking to reporters after taking over charge, he said that he was well aware of the seriousness of the Maoist problem, as he had already worked in Karimnagar and Nalgonda districts as SP before shifting to anti-corruption bureau.
East Godavari district which falls in the Andhra-Orissa border area is vital and the police has been keeping a constant vigil on Maoist movements.
Replying to a query about the sudden rise in ragging, eve-teasing and chain snatching cases in the district, he said that he would come down with a heavy hand on those indulging in ragging. Special police units will be deployed to nab the culprits, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof