Two FIRs against MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi for hate speech
Hyderabad: Taking suo motu action, Andhra Pradesh Police on Thursday filed two FIRs against Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi for allegedly making a "hate speech" against a particular community.
The FIRs were registered at Adilabad and Nizamabad districts last night and notices were dispatched to Owaisi seeking his appearance before the Investigating Officers (IOs) to record his statement, Director General of Police (DGP) V Dinesh Reddy said.
Despite the chorus demanding action against him, the police had not moved against the MIM MLA and leader of the party in Andhra Pradesh Assembly. Akbaruddin’s elder brother Asaduddin Owaisi is the Lok Sabha MP from Hyderabad.
However, the DGP denied that there was delay in filing the cases and said they were following certain procedures because Owaisi was a people`s representative and the police wanted to be sure and gather concrete evidence before moving forward.
The legislator had allegedly used inflammatory and derogatory language against a particular community during his public speeches last month.
While the Nizamabad speech was made on December 08, Akbaruddin made the hate speech at Nirmal town in Adilabad on December 24.
"There may be slight delay in view of transcribing the speeches due to the language (Urdu) factor," the DGP said.
The police have booked Akaruddin under Section 153(A) of the IPC - creating enmity between different communities.
The MIM leader, in his almost two-hour long speech on Dec 24 at Nirmal, allegedly tried to instigate the crowd by calling for a "test of strength" against a community.
The MLA from Chandrayangutta has been booked under IPC Sections 153A (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, language etc and doing acts prejudicial to maintenance of harmony), 295A (deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings of any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs). He has also been booked under IPC Section 121 (waging or attempting to wage war, or abetting waging of war, against the Government of India).
A local court today had directed the police to investigate a complaint filed by a city-based businessman, S Venkatesh Goud, against the MIM legislator.
The 4th Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) directed Osmania University Police to investigate the complaint and file a report before it on January 28.
Goud had filed a complaint before the court alleging that the Chandrayangutta legislator had given "highly provocative and derogatory" speech on a particular community, which was telecast on a local television channel on December 8 and 9.
Social activist Shabnam Hashmi has also lodged a complaint at Parliament Street Police Station in New Delhi against the MIM leader for allegedly making derogatory remarks about a particular community.
Meanwhile, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy told reporters that the law would take its own course in Akbaruddin`s case. He said the government had no role in the matter and it was for the police to take action as per the law.
He said it had come to the notice of the government that Akbaruddin made provocative speeches in Adilabad and Nizamabad districts.
The MIM leader, whose party snapped ties with ruling Congress party in November last year, was addressing public meetings aimed at what was called exposing communal attitude of Kiran Kumar Reddy`s Congress government.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly