Uma asks SCs, STs to fight for their demands
Hyderabad: Former Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh and senior BJP leader Uma Bharati on Saturday called upon members of Scheduled Caste(SC) and Scheduled Tribe(ST) here to continue their fight till their demands are accepted.
Speaking at a camp where about 40 dalit leaders were observing 48-hour hunger strike organised by the state BJP SC/ST Morcha, she also criticised the Andhra government for neglecting the welfare of SCs and STs.
Referring to separate statehood for Telangana region, the BJP leader said the people of the region were eagerly waiting for it and the centre should fulfil their demand.
On the issue of save Ganga campaign, Uma Bharathi said she would soon undertake a yatra and a human chain would be formed from Gangasagar to Gangotri on December 2.
BJP MLA E lakshminarayana, state party vice president Chinta Samba Murthy and 40 other dalit leaders from different districts began the two-day hunger strike today.
Their demands include setting up of SC/ST Commission, increase in SC/ST students scholarships, reservations in private sector jobs and bank loan to eligible SCs and STs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Parliament deadlock: BJP says blame Sonia if Monsoon Session washed out, calls Congress 'confused'
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites