Assam flood scene grim, toll rises to 30
Guwahati: The overall flood situation in Assam further worsened today as fresh areas came under water with the death toll rising to 30 and many others went missing in a boat capsize in Goalpara district.
Official sources said the country boat was carrying about 100 passengers from Kothalbari to Sutarpara through a swollen water pond when it capsized. Some passengers swam to safety while bodies of four persons were fished out.
The Goalpara administration has ordered a probe into the incident but some passengers are still missing.
Meanwhile, incessant rains continued to lash many parts of the state resulting in alarming rise of water level of the Brahmaputra river in 23 of the 27 districts.
The flood scene was critical in Dhemaji, Lakhimpur, Dibrugarh, Jorhat, Nalbari, Barpeta and Dhubri districts where water has engulfed fresh areas of human habitation and cropland.
More than five lakh people have been affected in this wave of the floods which have threatened the existence of Majuli, the world`s largest inhabited river island. The situation in the island was unchanged even as there was no fresh rainfall.
The Kaziranga National Park, a world heritage site, and Pabitora sanctuary, both housing the highly endangered one horned rhino, are under flood waters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...