Rs 750-crore project to revamp Guwahati drainage system
Guwahati: In the wake of worst-ever flood in the city, the administration is working on a Rs 750-crore project to revamp the drainage system of the state capital.
"The Guwahati Metropolitan Development Authority (GMDA) is working on a scientific drainage plan for the city and a detailed project report for the Rs 750 crore plan has been under discussion. By December, we will be able to take a decision on this," Kamrup Metro Deputy Commissioner (in-charge) M Angamuthu told reporters here.
The authority is in the process of identifying low lying areas to start a scientific survey to plan a modern drainage system, he said.
On the eviction drive, which continued for the eighth day, Angamuthu said, "We have completed around 80 per cent of the work and it will continue for a few more days."
The primary objective of the authorities was to clear the water routes and wetlands, he said adding eviction was being carried out on the banks of Bharalu, Basistha and Bahini rivers along with Silsako and Deepor wetlands.
On allegation that "rich" people have not been touched in this drive, Angamuthu said, "We have identified 45 big constructions in these government lands. We have asked the authorities concerned to verify these and accordingly we will take action against them."
He said even government establishments would not be spared if laws have been violated.
Asked about collusion between agencies in giving permission to these structures, Angamuthu said, "During eviction, many people presented a holding certificate from the Guwahati Municipal Corporation. We are finding out the period when these were issued. We want to find out this nexus to fix it."
"After the eviction is completed, we will start dredging and then fencing of these water bodies. We will do everything to bring our effort to a logical conclusion," Angamuthu said.
The government would also take a "strong decision" regarding banning polythene in the city from next month, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case