Bihar Durgawati reservoir project to see light of day after 38 years
Patna: After nearly four decades, the Durgawati reservoir project in Bihar is finally ready in realisation of the dream of thousands of farmers to get their land irrigated in the Maoist-affected districts of Rohtas and Kaimur.
"Finally, the work of the Durgawati reservoir project has been completed. It would be formally inaugurated by Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi soon," Water Resources Minister Vijay Choudhary said Sunday.
This was the dream project of legendary Dalit leader and then union water resources minister Babu Jagjivan Ram, who laid the foundation stone in 1976.
The project was delayed for decades for want of funds and the objections raised by the central government over provisions of the Forest Conservation Act.
Choudhary said the Durgawati reservoir on the Sone river was a dream for farmers of Rohtas and Kaimur for years.
Work on the project started in 1976 but was delayed on one pretext or the other.
Officials said 33,467 hectares of land would be irrigated when the project is operational.
"The cost of the project has gone up from its initial estimate of Rs.25 crore to Rs.1,096 crore now," officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25