Bihar NGO director arrested for Rs 150 crore fraud
Patna: The director of a Patna-based NGO was arrested here Wednesday for allegedly being part of a racket that collected over Rs 150 crore from farmers and students in Bihar on the promise of giving them jobs, police said.
Rudra Dev Pratap of the NGO Muskan Pariyojna, who had been absconding for nearly two years, was arrested near the Patna railway station, a police official said.
"He was arrested on a tip-off that he was visiting Patna after a long time," he said.
Pratap was one of the five people accused of collecting Rs 150 crore from about 4,000 students and farmers for training them in cattle rearing and dairy farming and then getting them jobs at the Panchayat and block levels.
Four of the accused are in jail.
Pratap, who is in his early 40s, had started Muskaan Pariyojna in Delhi in early 2000 and later shifted to Patna.
According to police, between April 2007 and March 2010, the NGO duped youths with promises of jobs from district and block levels to villages, charging Rs 18,500 to Rs 28,500 for a post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!