Bihar points lacunae in Food Bill
Patna: Bihar government on Wednesday charged the Centre of finalising Food Security Bill without consulting state governments and pointed several lacunae in the draft legislation which needs to be addressed before hand.
The Bill is expected to come up in Parliament in the coming budget session.
Bihar government`s views on the National Food Security Bill, 2011 was expressed by Food minister Shyam Rajak today in a meeting on the bill presided over by Union Food minister K V Thomas in the national capital.
Emerging from the meeting, Rajak said that the bill will not yield desired results unless and until these short comings are addressed before hand, official sources said here.
He claimed that Bihar`s views got support from states like Assam, Odhisa and Gujarat, among others at the meeting.
Rajak`s comments came two days after Chief Minister Nitish Kumar wrote a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the Food bill.
"The negative aspect of the Food bill is that under it the Centre has the power to decide the plan and choose beneficiary families as per the process suggested by it... The state governments have no say except for bearing cost for implementation of the legislation," Rajak claimed.
The Central government is hurrying up with the bill without assessing the additional financial requirement and from where it would come, the Bihar Food minister said, adding, this would put extra extra financial burden on states.
The Bihar minister raised 24 points to highlight lacunae in the draft of the bill.
It sought setting up of an independent BPL Commission for identification of beneficiaries of the Food bill, considered as world`s largest experiment in providing food security to poor.
There has been glaring discrepancy in the number of beneficiaries eligible for subsidised food between the Centre and the Bihar government.
While the Centre allocates foodgrains for distribution under PDS for 65 lakh people, the actual count of beneficiaries of the state government runs to around 1.70 crore. The state government is providing subsidised food to those left out from the Centre`s dole from its own fund.
Rajak suggested that direct cash transfer would save huge cost incurred on improvement of Targetted Public Distribution System.
He pointed out that there should be an Independent authority to fix responsibility of the Centre and the state regarding implementation of the legislation.
The CM had raised these several issues on Food Bill in his letter to the PM.
He had demanded that the Centre should bear the entire cost of the scheme and set up an independent BPL commission to identify genuine beneficiaries.
The Food Bill is a pet project of Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and considered a `game changer` for UPA in the 2014 general elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources