Bihar probes DIG for demanding money from liquor mafia
Patna: The Bihar government Sunday began a probe against Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Saran Alok Kumar for allegedly demanding Rs.10 crore from a liquor mafia, a police official said.
"We are investigating Kumar`s involvement in the case after some evidences were found against him," Inspector General of Police Anupama Nilekar Chandra told reporters here.
Bihar Police chief Abhyanand ordered a probe against Kumar following a complaint by the liquor mafia earlier this month.
Police officials here said a first information report (FIR) is likely to be filed against Kumar soon.
Three people associated with the senior Indian Police Service (IPS) official have been arrested for the case after an FIR was filed against them.
"Police have recovered Rs.5 lakh from the houses of three arrested people during a raid," Chandra said.
The Bihar government has started seizing properties of those involved in illegal liquor trade following the death of more than 60 people, mostly poor, after consuming illicit liquor in various parts of the state in the past two months.
Kumar is a Jammu and Kashmir cadre 1997 batch IPS officer. Earlier, he served as the senior superintendent of police, Patna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31