Bihar train attack: Adhir Chowdhury blames `failure` of law and order
Kolkata: The Minister of State for Railways, Adhir Chowdhury, on Thursday blamed the `failure` of law and order in Bihar for the armed attack by the Maoists on the Dhanbad-Patna Inter-city Express in Jamui district.
"Law and order is the responsibility of the states where trains pass through. There were about 100-150 Maoists involved in the attack. So many Maoist gathered, what were the police doing? It was an intelligence failure and failure of the state`s law and order," Chowdhury told a TV news channel.
Stating that the RFP personnel fought bravely against the Maoists, he said "What could have happened had the RPF not resisted the attack? It could have been a bigger mishap."
He said that Maoists had influence in the area where the attack took place and they took advantage of the slow movement of the train.
He claimed that the the Maoists were being cornered because of the offensive by central forces and were trying to create panic and attacking `soft targets` to divert attention.
Meanwhile, security was tightened in the entire Asansol division of the Eastern Railway and additional armed escorts provided in eight long-distance trains passing through, Railway sources said
Additional escorts were provided in the Punjab Mail, Kathgudam Express and Muzaffarpur Fast Passenger and others in view of the Maoist attack, the sources said adding that security was also strengthened in important stations in Asansol division.
A South Eastern Railway spokesman said that security was tight in trains passing through Maoist areas in SER`s jurisdiction and an alert has been sounded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh
- Pakistan celebrate 'incredible journey' to No.1 in Test Cricket after 7 years